Between 1865 and 1906 five more tracks were added and some ancillary buildings were built. The main structure was extended towards the square and a wrought-iron marquee in the liberty style was installed in the three central bays. Subsequent alterations profoundly altered the station’s original forms and dimensions, and in 1930 a project foreseeing the raising of the central bays by another storey and enclosing the recesses between the main building block and the lateral buildings. In the central area of the ticketing hall, the pillars were replaced by marble columns in the Doric style and the cross vaults by lacunar ceilings. Further alterations foreseen in the 1946 town plan brought Bari Centrale station to its present configuration.
It extends over several levels:
• a basement floor housing records rooms, technical rooms and railway stockrooms;
• the ground floor, where the tracks run, hosts the main traveller services, some shops and post offices;
• the mezzanine floor features offices and service facilities;
• the first floor is occupied by the railway health service.