Palermo CentralePalermo Centrale is a class example of a head station located in the heart of a city, in piazza Giulio Cesare, with 52 thousand users passing through it per day, giving a total of some 19 million per year, and 250 train per day.
The identity of the station’s designer is still unknown, but the architectural approach shows the nfluence of Ernesto Basile and his school. The original structure, which was destroyed during the last war, featured a large iron and glass canopy roof with elegant lines, supported by sickle-shaped trusses, that extended over the tracks.
Although it still retains its architectonic unity, elegnce and fine proportions, the quality and functionalism of the complex have been impaired by the elimination of the canopy roof and a series of discontinuous alterations carried out between 1950 and 1960.
• the basement floor houses utilities systems, technical rooms and stockrooms;
• the ground floor is the track level, and houses various traveller services and commercial businesses;
• the mezzanine floor is occupied by offices and stockrooms;
• the upper floors are used for offices, stockrooms and railway structures.
The island in the centre of the main hall is a recent addition, and is currently occupied by the ticketing counter and a restaurant.